Do you have a desire to teach, or are you serving as a paraprofessional or substitute teacher and want to further your career? Warner’s Educational Studies degree program is your first step towards becoming a teacher. The Educational Studies degree is designed for working adults and can be completed entirely online without interrupting your career.
In the Educational Studies program, you will receive support in preparing for the Florida Teacher Certification Exams (FTCE).
The Bachelor of Arts in Educational Studies program is suitable for employment opportunities and career advancement in education and non-profit based organizations and includes the following features:
- Development of the contemporary knowledge, skills, and attitude needed to teach in a Florida school
- Practical application of concepts to the public school classroom
- Preparation for graduate school
Please note: As a non-state approved program, the Bachelor of Science in Educational Studies does not meet the criteria for the renewable, professional Florida state teacher certification upon graduation. As such, Florida residents who complete the program would need to pass a subject area exam to qualify for temporary certification, then complete their 1st year of teaching and any other requirements to transition to the renewable, professional teaching certificate. Florida residents should work with their local school districts to design a plan to complete full certification (professional) requirements. Out of state residents earning this degree are highly encouraged to contact their state department of education for further information pertaining to licensure requirements in that particular state.
Program Mission and Outcomes
The mission of the Non-Traditional Education programs is to engage the Warner online community with a Christ-centered worldview and to prepare students/graduates for effective leadership and service, which supports the institutional mission of guiding individuals toward Christ-like character and intellectual maturity while equipping them to serve.
Students majoring in Educational Studies will meet the following five outcomes which coordinate with Warner University’s mission to provide academic excellence and a Christian learning environment.
- Students will be able to demonstrate the Florida Educator Accomplished Practices (FEAPs) at the pre-professional level through the use of a Professional Portfolio developed during the coursework of the program.
- Educational Studies students will be able to demonstrate the knowledge needed to collect and use data gathered from a variety of sources (traditional and alternate assessment strategies) to match a learner’s instructional plan with their cognitive, social, linguistic, cultural, emotional, and physical needs.
- The Educational Studies student will be able to demonstrate knowledge of learning theories, standards, and pedagogy of the teaching profession.
- The student will be able to demonstrate the knowledge needed to set up an effective classroom learning environment and the need to use a variety of teaching techniques in order to meet the differentiated learning and behavioral styles of classroom students.
- Prepare students and graduates from the department to compete favorably with peers for employment and education.
- Entirely online
- Two courses every 8 weeks
- Outstanding faculty, diversity, and small student-to-professor ratio
- Financial assistance and scholarships
Freshman Admission Requirements
Applicants must meet at least two of the three criteria to be admitted.
- Graduation from high school with academic rank in the upper half of their graduating class
- A high school grade point average of 2.25 or higher
- A composite score on the ACT of 18 or combined SAT I score of 940
Transfer Student Admission Requirements
(24 or more hours. Those with fewer than 24 hours are subject to Freshman Admission Requirements)
Must be in good academic and have at least a GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Complete an Application.
- Submit official transcripts from each college or university you have attended, if applicable, or supply a high school or GED transcript if there are no transferable college or university credits.
- Applicants not meeting admissions requirements may appeal to the Admitting and Registration Committee
The Required Educational Studies Program Courses (48 credit hours)
|EDE 3020||Foundations of Early Literacy and Math||3|
|EDX 3000||Foundations of Exceptional Student Education||3|
|EDU/X 3050||Assessment and Evaluation||3|
|EDX 4055||Classroom and Behavior Management||3|
|EDX 4011||Instructional Strategies for Students with Intellectual and Learning Disabilites||3|
|EDU 2000||Foundations of Education||3|
|EDU 2010||Life-Span Development||3|
|EDU 3000||Instructional Technology||3|
|EDU 3010||Curriculum Design and Instructional Strategies||3|
|EDU 3020||Affirming Diversity||3|
|EDU 4070||Comprehensive Strategies for ESOL||3|
|EDU 4095||Teaching from a Christian Worldview||3|
|EDU 4195||Accomplished Practices Comprehensive Reflection||0|
|EDE 4030||Science for the Elementary School or|
|EDU 4040||Methods of Teaching Science or|
|EDE 4035||FTCE Content Review||3|
|EDE 4050||Social Studies for the Elementary School or|
|EDU 4050||Methods of Teaching Social Studies||3|
|EDE 4039||Math for Elementary – Primary or|
|EDE 4040||Math for the Elementary School – Intermediate||3|
|EDE 3040||Literacy Across the Curriculum or|
|EDE 3070||Methods of Assessment of Reading – Primary (K-2) or|
|EDE 4000||Methos of Assessment of Reading – Intermediate (3-5) or|
|EDU 4010||Methods of Teaching English – Seconday||3|
Answer God’s Call
About Warner University
Warner University is a distinctly Christian university that strives to make a Christian liberal arts education accesible to all. We are committed to guiding individuals toward Christ-like character and intellectual maturity while equipping them to serve. We are located in beautiful Lake Wales, Florida, which is nearly the exact center of the Florida peninsula. We are just a short drive away from rapidly growing cities such as Lakeland and Winter Haven. At Warner we offer a variety of in-person and online degree plans. Choose Warner and answer God’s call, receiving an education that helps you pursue your dreams and grow closer to Christ.